Thursday, March 5, 2009

VLC media player

imageWhen you watch video clips on your laptop or computer regularly, you often find issues with it. A few days ago my wife and I ran into some troubles again… the lip-sync was TOTALLY out. It was one of those moments where you would hear what's going to happen about 5 seconds in advance… SUPER irritating.

I then remembered that I had VLC installed but I don’t often use it to watch video clips. I decided to give it a go again and it was AMAZING. The lip-sync problem was TOTALLY gone and we could enjoy the rest of what we were watching. I later saw an article where someone said it’s their default video player, and I’m slowly but surely starting to be convinced. It’s really great.

Some technical stuff: VLC media player is a the cross-platform (meaning it works with most operating systems) media player and streaming server. It is also open source, so lots of programmers put some FREE time into it to add many features and to make it work better.

It plays various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

If I was you I would give it a go. It’s really very good, FREE and gets rid of lip-sync issues :)

Download it here.

2 comments:

  1. not to mention, lot of extra features. have a .sub file for a movie? u can add that, to get subtitiles. You can also add a little delay, to correct lip synching. Endless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this D... Yes - VLC has SO many great features - thanks for telling us about this.

    ReplyDelete